Saturday, April 14, 2012

"You Look Great"

I highly dislike people trying to compliment my looks by saying "You look great, how much weight did you lose?" Shoot me. I do want to be skinny, I do want people to notice my efforts and when they do it is a good thing, but I don't take the above statement as a compliment when someone says you look much better, then want to know to what extent you have actually shrunk. UGH. It makes me feel a bit inferior and my work less than acceptable.

So, on the days that I don't want to make dinner for the little old man, I don't want to do anything. I feel for those wives from the 50s and before, who were dedicated to making dinner every night for their leave- it-to-beaver families. They catered for 25 years or more to a family of four (equally distributed genders), but no one tells you what they did after they got sick of cooking. Now that my time to be the wife has come around, I have at least one night per week where I do not want to cook and I have only been going for two years. Where did the longevity, persistance and patience go?!  The last person to do this was my Nan. She cooked and cleaned for 5 to 10 people every night for 25 years and finally decided it was not her responsibility anymore once she was too frail to continue on. She will still cook for her little family of two in her little apartment by the lake on her good days. I have a great respect and thankfullness for generosity, time and care for all the years I was a part of her breakfast, lunch and dinner because that shaped my want and ability to do my six days per week now. Perhaps I need more people to cook for.

No comments:

Post a Comment