Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Twenty-six Years

I will have been married four years on January 12, 2014. I will be 26 years old in about 4 hours and 20 minutes according to the time over here in Italy. I have lived in Illinois, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Germany, and Italy in these (almost) 26 years. And in my 26th year of life I will be bringing another life into the world.
On that note, while remembering I am in Italy, I am very disappointed. Why didn't I have a baby in Germany? They care! They care to check the baby, to make sure everything is good, to look at it and say "Hey, there's a live creature in there. You're doing gute!" Not in Italy. If you aren't completely routine and healthy then the "Birthing Center" on post will not have anything to do with you and they send you out to an Italian hospital. Now, what's so bad about that, you ask? Let. Me. Tell. You.
So, every hospital has visiting hours, and some are strict, but most give a little leeway behind those double doors that house those new babies. Now, many times it's just for Daddy, and IT SHOULD BE! Not in Italy though. They have two hours the husband/new daddy can come into the shared room and visit his wife and child in the evenings. Baby is put away all night and I hope your room mate doesn't snore or puke. Oh, and you walk alone if you have an emergency of any kind. Lone Ranger. I think I am done.
At this point, I believe pregnant women who eagerly await their babies are the only ones who know how long 9 months really is. I can't even be excited about it because, frankly, I dislike both green and yellow, so I am suppressing the excitement until I know who/what is in there. So goes life...

No comments:

Post a Comment